Home Remedy for Acne
Home remedy for acne is a safe and natural way to treat your acne problem without using all the harsh chemicals on your skin.
If you have problems with breakouts, you know that most acne treatments are very drying and tend to make your face red. Using natural home remedies for acne, is much less irritating and drying for your face and body. Home remedies for clear skin is a great approach to take.
What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition caused from clogged pores that can form blackheads, whiteheads, and red irritated pustules or cysts.
When the glands produce too much oil, your pores become trapped with oil, dirt, bacteria, and inflammatory cells then build up.
It’s most commonly found in teenagers, but anyone can have acne. Many who are in their 30’s and 40’s continue to have acne. Hormonal changes are probably one of the biggest culprits.
Here are some factors that may play a role in causing acne:
• Cosmetics- Many cosmetics are pore clogging. You want to read the back label and find those that are “noncomediogenic” meaning non pore clogging. Also in the list of ingredients, look for water as the first or second ingredient.
• Stress- This affects the overall health of our bodies. Stress takes a toll on us. When we are stressed out, we tend to not eat right, get less sleep, forget to wash our face, etc. So, stress may not play a direct role in acne, but in the long run it can.
• Greasy foods- You know your parents always told you to stay away from greasy foods because they would give you pimples. Well like stress, it may not play a direct role, but again, eating healthy does affect our overall health and skin. Now if you have just eaten a greasy slice of pizza or maybe some greasy French fries and then you decide to touch you face without thinking, this direct contact with the grease and oil could cause a breakout in that area. So make sure you wash your hands, and don’t touch your face!
• Pressure- Hats, headbands and things of this sort tend to aggravate acne. You tend to sweat more which makes the breakouts worse.
• Heredity- May play a role in acne. If one of your parents tends to have breakouts or adult acne, studies have shown you may also.
All of these factors play a role in acne. A good home remedy for acne can help cure the problem.
Types of Acne
Acne Vulgaris (mild to moderate) is the most common form of acne. Lesions usually include blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, nodules and cysts.
Blackheads: We’ve all had them from time to time, but a big ole blackhead on your face in not very attractive. Blackheads are cause from a partially blocked pore. Some of the oil and dead skin drain to the surface. The black color is not from dirt but instead it is the skin’s own pigment reacting with the oxygen in the air. A natural home remedy for acne and blackheads is the best approach.
Whiteheads: Whiteheads are caused by a pore being completely blocked with oil, dead skin and bacteria. This gives it the whitish appearance on the surface. White heads are much harder to get rid of than blackheads since they are farther down under the skin surface. Still, use a natural home remedy for whiteheads.
Papules: These are red, inflamed, tender bumps without a head or pus pocket. It is not a good idea to squeeze these, because there is nothing to squeeze out. Squeezing may also cause scarring.
Pustules: As the name says it, pustules appear as a red circle with white or yellow puss in the center. It’s never a good idea to squeeze a pimple. This is hard not to do, especially when you have this visible white head on your zit.
Acne Vulgaris (severe) is characterized by nodules and cysts.
Cysts- These are similar to the nodules, but contain pus. It is very tempting to squeeze them, but the infection can go much deeper and become much more inflamed when doing this. You may even notice heat, redness and swelling after squeezing. Antibiotics are common when these have become infected. Many times a dermatologist is needed to take care of the problem. A home remedy for acne is still the best first approach.
Nodules- Nodules are different than cysts since they contain no pus. These are painful hard bumps under the skin’s surface that can last for several days and even weeks. Do not attempt to mash or squeeze these. There is nothing to come out and it will just cause trauma to the skin as well as scarring. Leave them alone. A dermatologist may prescribe a cortisone treatment to lessen swelling and help prevent scarring.If you have a long history with acne or just can’t contain yourself from squeezing when you get a pimple, you have probably noticed all the scarring and damage it has caused on your face. Home remedy for acne scars can help reduce the damage already done. Boils
Boils are not pimples or acne. They are completely different and you need to take care of them ASAP.
Home Remedy for Acne-There are many free home acne remedies, below are a few of the best.
Tea tree oil- Tea tree oil is great to prevent infection and speed healing. Studies have found that 5 % tea tree oil is as effective on acne as 5 % benzoyl peroxide. Apply this 2-3 times daily on pimples. Tea tree oil has many benefits and this is one of the best home remedy for acne.
Vinegar or lemon juice- Vinegar and lemon juice both contain acid which helps to flush out the pores. This is another good home remedy for acne.
Zinc- Many studies have found that people who are prone to acne have a lower level of zinc than others. You need to take between 200 and 600 milligrams daily. Consult with your doctor first.
Chasteberry tea- Some acne flare ups are caused by hormonal imbalances. Drink one to two cups of tea daily. You may need to give this tea a couple of months to show results.
Egg whites- Mix egg whites and apply to face with a couple teaspoons of honey. The egg whites will help draw out excess moisture while the honey has antiseptic properties.
Honey and aspirin- Crush an aspirin and mix with small amount of water to form a paste. Apply mixture to face. This helps calm an acne breakout by reducing inflammation. After, apply honey which offers antibacterial treatment. This is a good home remedy for acne.
• Avoid harsh exfoliants that can make irritated acne even worse.
• Avoid using washcloths on your face. Not only are they abrasive to your skin, they can accumulate bacteria if you reuse them.
• Mix a solution of one teaspoon Epsom salt and 2-3 drops of iodine. Mix in one-half cup of water and bring to a boil. Let the mixture cool, and apply to face with a cotton ball. This will help clean out the pores in your skin.